Saturday, February 2, 2013

"Best friend isn't a person, it's a tier"

I was watching "The Mindy Project" on Monday (if you haven't watched this show yet, you need to start. It's awesome), and Mindy dropped some serious knowledge on her coworker.

"Best friend isn't a person, it's a tier"

Finally, a way to explain my life to people that get confused. "Wait, your best friend is from Kentucky? I thought she was from Idaho." "Was your best friend's wedding in May or August? You've said both." I mean, there are people out there who have had the same best friend since they were born, but I haven't.

I have best friends that I g-chat all day on slow days. I have a best friend that I text pictures of my outfit before I go out (she sends me hers too. I'm not a complete weirdo). I have a best friend that scores the same as me on every personality test. I have a best friend that sends me music when I'm having a tough day and another one that surprises me with mail. I've had a soccer team best friend and a best friend in Comms 318.

I'm reading "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake,"  a memoir by Anna Quindlen. In her chapter on girlfriends, she writes:

"Ask any woman how she makes it through the day, and she may mention her calendar, her to-do lists, her baby-sitter...But if you push her on how she really makes it through her day, or more important, her months and years...She will mention her girlfriends."

I like having lots of best friends. I think you avoid having the whole 7th grade drama of "SHE'S my best friend. You are my second best friend" by having multiple. And it's an open position for me. You just need to like going to Cafe Rio and singing in the car and participating in the occasional choreographed dance performance.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS! And totally agree. Thanks for having me on your tier :)

    ReplyDelete