Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Homeless Weekend

So Friday afternoon, I'm scrolling through Twitter when I see Jordan's tweet that she's headed to Bryce Canyon to go camping and run in the half marathon. Lonely and desperate person that I am, I called and she was nice enough to let me crash the party.

Fun fact: I didn't know where Bryce Canyon is. I thought it was in St. George, an hour and a half away. Wrong. It's about four and a half hours away. But I'd already set my mind on going so I hopped in my car, cracked open a Diet Coke and started driving.

Using 21st century technology, Jordan sent me a pin from her iPhone giving me her exact location. Sweet, I thought. I'd just follow my iPhone to the campsite. Wrong again. As I got closer, I talked to Andrew on the phone and he told me they were in a town called Tropic. I didn't think anything of it when Tropic came and went and the GPS led me to Main Street, Cannonville. When I didn't see their car, I headed back to Tropic and called Andrew. He told me they were, in fact, in Cannonville so I headed back, losing cell phone service and completely exhausted.

Long story short, I was driving through the bustling metropolis of Cannonville at 1 a.m. when I heard Andrew's classic whistle. God bless that whistle, because I was about to just pull over and sleep in my car. I seriously have never been happier to see that boy. He led me to our "campsite," which was a big field with tarps on it. I didn't have a tarp, so he slept on the ground on a pad he borrowed and I slept on a picnic table. Like homeless people.

We chatted and waited for everyone to get done with the race and then went to breakfast with everyone. I had such a fun time and can't wait to see everyone again in August.








No comments:

Post a Comment