Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What 20-Somethings Want

You want a job, a vacation, heath insurance, validation, a back rub, a scalp massage at the place where you get your haircut, people who are jealous of you, an ex who won’t stop texting you when they’re drunk, Twitter followers, happiness maybe sorta, someone to buy you lunch at a fancy restaurant, a mentor who can tell you what the hell to do with your life, a reliable internet connection, a reliable human connection, a gift card to the grocery store, dinner parties with friends where everyone will pretend to have their crap together for just one night, a nice flirty text message to wake up to every morning for the rest of your life, for everyone to like you even if you don’t like anyone, and one of those nights that doesn’t end till 9 AM and reminds you what it feels like to be young and alive. Oh, and $$$. That’s all. Think you can get that for me? For us?
Source 

I want to know what I'm doing in three months. I want unlimited spending privileges at Target. I want to be able to resist the bag of Cadbury eggs sitting on my kitchen table. I want my boss to like me and I want my hair to be darker.  I want everyone to cheer when I graduate and walk across the stage. I want to sleep for a hundred years. I want to go to Vegas. I want time to just slow down for a second, for everyone to realize that this is the last of everything, at least it is for me. I want people to miss me when I leave. I want to have a big enough handle on life to where my socks match at least half of the time. I want everyone to know how much I love them and how much I worry when they say they want to buy a motorcycle or that they spent too much time in the library.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment