Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Best Shake

My dad is meticulous. I swear it will say that on his tombstone. I have so many childhood memories of my dad painstakingly putting together some toy or game.
My dad is also good at a lot of things. He built me a bed that I saw in the Pottery Barn Teen catalog, no sweat. He is a mean basketball player and graduated Magna Cum Laude (Latin for higher grades than Melissa will ever get in her life). However, of all his achievements, the finest is his perfection of the mint chocolate chip shake.

Troy Connor's Famous Mint Chocolate Chip Shake:
Ingredients:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (Make sure you get the kind with flakes, not chips. This is usually the generic Wal-Mart brand. The flakes sink to the bottom of the shake you can scoop them out after.)
Water (you'll see)
Chocolate Syrup.

First, you pull out the ice cream and let it sit on the counter for a while. This allows the ice cream to get nice and soft. It also allows you to take a couple bites out of the carton, you know, to "test it."



Then, you scoop the ice cream into a tall cup. Two scoops was the limit when we were kids, but I'm pretty sure last time I was home my dad gave me three scoops. Welcome to the big leagues.

Next, you turn the sink on a very low stream. Remember what I said about being meticulous? You let the water trickle into the cup very slowly so you don't make it too watery. It's probably best to stop and stir it a few times to make sure the consistency is just right.




Finally, you stir in some chocolate syrup, as much as or as little as you want. I like my shake to be a little thicker but with lots of chocolate syrup. But whatever. Do what you want.




Voila! Delish.

2 comments:

  1. I love the man, but I can't do the water. But, in his defense, if he makes it for me, it's always perfection.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss your Parents! I am totally gonna try this recipe. I hope that I get to visit with your parents again soon rather than later, they are truly awesome people. I am sure knowing your dad that even though I dislike shakes and ice cream that I will LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete