Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom

 (Ignore whatever is on my dad's face. I'm pretty sure the frame this picture was in was dirty)

Today's my mom's birthday. My mom is awesome. You know the whole shortening words trend? (Presh, totes, etc.) My mom started that way before y'all. I learned to shorten words at my mother's knee. My mom calls Hobby Lobby "Hob Lob." She uses the word "generoo" for generous.

I am eternally grateful to my mom for telling me in no uncertain terms that I could NOT cut my hair like Mary-Kate and Ashley from "Passport to Paris." All I wanted to do was cut the front section of my hair an inch shorter than the rest so I could do the awesome "ponytail with the bangs parted in the middle" look pictured below. I thought my mom was so mean, but now I feel like I owe her my life.

 I remember when I was in 7th grade and my mom took me to get my first purse. We went to Target and spent over an hour looking at all the purses and wallets to fit my lip glosses and middle school student ID. We were cracking up the whole time. We finally decided on this black one with a flower border. It was made out of wool or something and to this day we call it the "dog hair" purse. Speaking of Target, when we finally got one in Arkansas I'm pretty sure my mom wept tears of gratitude and joy.

My mom's the one who took me to the mall when my senior prom date backed out on me a week before the dance. And my mom's the one who helped me get ready for prom when he came back around. My mom's the one who bought me two pairs of the most beautiful Steve Madden chunky shoes that I'm pretty sure made me the envy of McNair Middle School (at least in my mind).

My taught me about keeping it together and being sparkly. She taught me about serving. I remember calling her and she was driving through a trailer park trying to find this lady to visit teach. My mom is the best teacher. Literally. She can just explain things and engage her students. She taught me to learn to love reading, and now even writing.

I love you mom. You're the best.

2 comments:

  1. Love the post Melissa. And i think you mom is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here! Here! Your mom is one of the best women I know. She is definitely an amazing teacher, a great reader, and a hilarious woman all around ... which apparently is genetic. :) Happy birthday, Linda!

    ReplyDelete