Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Taylor Swift for Vogue

I love Taylor Swift. I'm not afraid to say it. I love her sad songs and I love her love songs. I love her style and that sometimes she dresses like a grandma, like me. I love that she is three months younger than me, to the day. I love her new bangs. I love that she's a hugger and didn't really fit in in middle school. But mostly I love that she's managed to stay classy despite being in the public eye for over five years.

Taylor's going to be on the cover of Vogue in February. In her interview, she talks about "fame, ambition and the joys of being on her own."

The writer followed Taylor around fashion show houses in New York, interviewing her and watching how she talked to the designer. He called her "reflexively generous." I would love to have someone describe me as reflexively generous.

He observed that Taylor is: "(1) smarter than the average bear; (2) excessively gracious; (3) happy to talk a blue streak about music; (4) preternaturally ambitious." Even without a full-day interview, I think you can tell that about her. And that's exactly why I admire her so much. That and her sample size body.

The writer recalled an interview Taylor had with Katie Couric a while back. Katie asked Taylor when her next scandal would be. She answered:

“I think, for me, the bigger pitfall is losing your self-awareness. Even though I am at a place where my dresses are really pretty and the red carpets have a lot of bright lights and I get to play to thousands of people . . . you have to take that with a grain of salt. The stakes are really high if you mess up, if you slack off and don’t make a good record, if you make mistakes based on the idea that you are larger than life and you can just coast. If you start thinking you’ve got it down, that’s when you run into trouble—either by getting complacent or becoming mouthy. And nobody likes that.”

We're all rooting for you, Taylor.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I love your blog. You're so cute! I also love TSwift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this feature on Vogue.com a few days and was totally impressed too. Sometimes she annoys me, but that's because I'm a terrible person. It makes me glad to see a positive, good woman in the music biz. Great post.

    ReplyDelete