Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On Happiness and Friendship and Two Years

I'm going to admit it and I don't care who judges me. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is one of my favorite books.

This has something to do with what I'm writing about, I promise.

Three years ago, I moved into the dorms in Helaman Halls. I didn't know anyone. My parents dropped me off ad turned the minivan around and headed back the way they had come. I sat alone in my dorm eating a Hot Pocket and trust me, I was not excited about college.

It took me a couple of weeks, but I finally found my group. We did everything together and believe me, I mean everything. At the end of the year (and a two-week long California road trip) I said goodbye to the boys.

Us girls were devastated. Ask any of the guys we met our sophomore year, we would not shut up about "our boys."

But guess what? It's been over two years and THEY'RE HOME. They're here. Down the street. I can text them. I can walk over and see them. It's the reunion of the century.

A couple of weeks ago my friend Amy asked me what happened. Why us? This is where the Sisterhood comes in. It just reminded me of this part from the book (changed to fit the situation (There are many magical things in my life but a pair of jeans is not one of them):

"I'd like to think that fate had a hand in what happened that year. That it was our destiny to find each other. Why we chose each other will always be a mystery. But perhaps that was part of the miracle, that we sensed in each other how much we needed someone, how much we needed some little bit of faith to hold on to. when it seemed that everything we believed in was about to slip away."

Talk about applying literature to my daily life. I know what happened that year was special. And guess what? We get to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment