Sunday, May 23, 2010

I am the captain of my soul

Last Thursday, I watched the movie Invictus. In the movie, Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) shares a poem that helped him get through his 27 years in prison:

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods my be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tearsLooms but teh Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me yet unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."

Thursday was a really rough day for me. Health stuff plus boy stuff (I know, I know. It's still an issue) plus friend stuff really had me down. Listening to this poem and reading it later was a total eye-opener. I am the master of my fate. Nothing else can control how I feel or what I do. It's all me.

Yeah.

1 comment: